Thursday, September 4, 2008

HEAVENLY HURRICANES

As I sit down at my wife's computer tonight to type this entry, I have just caught the most recent update on the Weather Channel regarding Tropical Storm Hanna, Hurricane Ike, and Tropical Storm Josephine. In the past 3 weeks, we have witnessed one of the busiest storm seasons in recent years. Several precious families in our church were affected by Tropical Storm Faye, and if the course doesn't change, it appears that the entire state of Florida will feel the wrath of Hurricane Ike.

Yet, storms are not isolated to just the natural arena, but they are a common part of the spiritual arena. In terms of weather, the Atlantic hurricane season is officially from June 1 to November 30; however, in terms of the Christian life, there is no "official" Heavenly hurricane season. It's not a matter of "if" they come; but, only a matter of "when" they come.

For some reason, all of this talk about hurricanes has directed my attention to Psalm 34. David was a man who had experienced his share of success, but he had also experienced his share of storms. Thus, in Psalm 34:19 he enlightens us as to the truth of what I call 'Heavenly hurricanes;' "Many are the afflictions of the righteous."

Whenever I come upon the word "many" in the Bible, I automatically want to pose the question, "How many?" Yet, there is no specific, definite answer as to how many "afflictions" the "righteous" will encounter. We are only left to our spiritual imagination, "many are the afflictions of the righteous."

I fear that as pastors/preachers, we have unintentionally misled people to believe that once they give their hearts to Jesus their pains, problems, and predicaments disappear forever. Nothing could be farther from the truth. In fact, personally speaking, most of my most intense "afflictions" did not begin until I became a Christian. The feel good, pop-psychology, purpose driven theology may advocate a life free of trouble, but the Bible never does.

Billy Bray, the Welsh coal-miner who became a preacher of the gospel said, "The Lord has given me both vinegar and honey; but, He has given me honey by the teaspoon and vinegar by the ladel." In other words, the bitter times of life seem to far outnumber the sweet times of life. Why? "Many are the afflictions of the righteous."

Afflictions may be represented in pain, pressure, problems, predicaments, and perplexities. Afflictions come in all shapes, sizes and forms. It may be a financial affliction, a physical affliction, a marital affliction, an occupational affliction, or a spiritual affliction. "Many are the afflictions of the righteous."

However, with the pain, pressure, problems, predicaments, and perplexities comes the PROMISE..."but the Lord delivereth him out of them all!" Hallelujah! We may be unprepared when Hurricane Ike rolls into town, but we are not unprepared when Heavenly hurricanes come our way, because we have the promise of God, which is "Yea" and "Amen," that He will be all we need to endure the storm, as well as to escape the storm.

Is it wonder then that even before he described the "many" "afflictions" of the "righteous," that David could say, "I will bless the Lord at all times: his praise shall continually be in my mouth?" Even though the "many" "afflictions" are on their way, He's still the God of the Heavenly hurricanes, and He will use them for our good and His glory! Thus, come and "magnify the Lord with me, and let us exalt His name together."

He's Holding On to Me,

Pastor Steve

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

THANK YOU FOR THE REMINDER...THAT I THINK NOT ALONE...LOVE THE MESSAGE..LOVE THE PREACHING..GOD'S HAND IS UPON YOU..AND MAY WE THE SHEEP...EXALT CHRIST...FOR SENDING YOU...

Pastor A. A. McGhee said...

This post hit it on the head. I love the way you compared natural hurricanes with heavenly ones. Your expository preaching is a tremendous gift to the body of Christ.

Pastor Steve N. Wagers said...

Bless you Pastor Andre'. What an encouragement to know that in the midst of our Heavenly hurricanes we not only have the friendship of the saints, but the fellowship of the Spirit. That's why we can boldly declare with the apostle Paul, "I reckon that the sufferings of this present world are not worthy to be compared with the glory that shall be revealed in us." (Romans 8: 18)

Keep on the firing line brother! God has called, and placed you where He has for "such a time as this."

Are you getting my sermons via email yet? If not, please let me know and I will add you to the mailing list.

Pastor Steve

Pastor A. A. McGhee said...

My e-mail address is a_mac516@sbcglobal.net Also let me know how to install a counter at the bottom of my page like you have. Thanks!

Pastor Steve N. Wagers said...

Thanks Bro. Andre'. I will add your email address and you will start receiving my weekly sermons and sermon series.

There are many counters that you can use to add to your blog. I am not at my personal computer now, but if you use "blogger.com" there are different options for counters. Or, if you google "blog counters," it will pull up many different ones of which most, if not all of them, are absolutely free.

I rejoice that God has knit our hearts together through the means of blogs. I praise God that He is using you in a mighty way to minister to your congregation. Keep up the great work my brother.

Pastor Steve