Saturday, August 30, 2008

I STILL GET BUTTERFLIES!

Peter Cartwright, a circuit riding Methodist preacher of the 19th century, was scheduled to preach to a large audience in Maryland. When he arrived, he was informed that President Andrew Jackson would be among those in attendance. The informant commented, "We wanted to let you know that President Jackson would be in attendance so that you would not say anything that might offend him." Peter Cartwright thanked him for the information, and then mounted the platform to prepare to preach.

When he got into the pulpit, he cleared his throat and said, "I have been told that President Andrew Jackson is in the congregation today. I have also been warned about saying anything that might be offensive to the President. Thus, I want to begin my sermon today by saying that if President Andrew Jackson doesn't turn to Jesus, repent of his sin, and get saved, he will go straight to hell." Needless to say, you could have heard a pin drop. Immediately after the service, President Andrew Jackson made a b-line to Peter Cartwright and said, "If I had a army of men like you, I could whip the world."

As pastors and preachers of the gospel, we have an unpopular job. In the day of political correctness and social acceptance, even many professing, born-again believers have no appetite for the truth of the Word of God. Rather, the culture has infiltrated the church and created a desire for "feel-good" theology. The average church member marches into our services, plops down in their seat, folds their arms, looks to the platform as if to say, "Okay, preacher man, give it your best shot."

I have been doing this for about half of my life and I still get butterflies as I step behind the sacred desk. I haven't been able to determine if it is nervousness or anxiety; but, I am certain that it is partly due to the great responsibility that has been placed upon my shoulders as a shepherd of His sheep.

Sadly enough, many pastors/preachers have succumbed to the pressure of the day and ceased to be men of God who boldly declare the truth of God. I believe the apostle Paul, under the inspiration of the Holy Ghost, knew this day would be upon us when he wrote to young Timothy, "Preach the Word....for the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine: but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears. And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables." (2 Timothy 4: 2-4)

However, as men of God, Paul did not leave us to fend for ourselves without knowing what to do in the midst of the day. Rather, he says that we are to, "...be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine...endure afflictions...make full proof of thy ministry." (4:2, 5)

Men of God, stand before your people with a backbone like a saw log and preach convicingly, courageously, compassionately, consistently, and compellingly. We are not professionals or CEO's; nor, are we in the running of a popularity contest. We have been called of God, to be men of God, anointed by the Spirit of God, to preach the whole counsel of God. Preach it strong and preach it straight and ask the Holy Spirit to "break up the fallow ground," then sow a little while, water a little while, and allow God to get the increase.

I'm praying for you as you preach tomorrow.

Your Friend in the Fight,

Bro. Steve

3 comments:

Pastor A. A. McGhee said...

You and me both! This is a timely post. I started shouting in my seat. Thanks for an awesome word.

Pastor Steve N. Wagers said...

Bless you Pastor Andre. I pray that God will anoint you with the oil of gladness and give you holy boldness to declare His Word. Keep on the firing line brother.

Pastor Steve

Rev.Aaron Holcombe said...

I know exactly what you mean! Keep up the good work Steve! You are in my prayers.