Friday, August 8, 2008

I Love the Olympics

Today marks a day that only comes around every 4 years, the Games of the Olympiad. This year is special because the games open on 8-8-08. I love everything about the Olympics. I love what they represent, the competitive spirit, and especially when "Old Glory" is raised to the singing of the national anthem. Rest assured, tonight @ 8 o'clock, my family and I will gather around to watch the opening ceremony.

I believe that the Olympics represent a spiritual principle as well. It has been well said that the apostle Paul had to be a sports fan. If that is true, and he were alive today, I would be curious to know what would be his favorite sport; because he often referred to the Christian life as a fight or a race.

The Olympic athletes represent the best the world has to offer. Not only are they talented, but they have paid the price by giving their lives to their sport. While others party, they prepare; while others trifle, they train; and while others are concerned with having fun, they are concerned with staying focused.

Yet, that same level of dedication is required to be all God wants us to be, to do all God wants us to do, and to have all God wants us to have. In 1 Corinthians 9: 26-27, Paul gathers us around to give a pre-game speech. In so doing, he outlines our personal mission; "I therefore so run, not as uncertainly; so fight I, not as one that beateth the air. But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway." If we are not careful, we will begin to allow things into our lives that will disqualify us from the game.

Our personal mission must then develop our passionate motive. We are confronted with an interested question in verse 24, "Know ye not that they which run in a race run all, but one receiveth the prize?" But, he admonishes us to "run, that ye may obtain." The Christian life is not a spectator sport; it is a CONTACT sport. If I'm not motivated to be the best Christian I can be, then I will sit on the couch and eat potato chips while others are out training with blood, sweat and tears.

Once our personal mission connects with our passionate motive, it will lead to our precious medal. Paul says in verse 25 that "they do it to obtain a corruptible crown, but we an incorruptible." The gold medals of the Olympic games, though inspiring, will one day fade away. However, one day there will be a medal ceremony in Heaven, and those medals will last for all of eternity.

Friend, don't get disqualified; but, run your race and fight your fight, because one day, we'll step onto the platform of Heaven's bright shore to receive our medals. There will be no need to hear "old glory," because we will be in the presence of glory, and just to hear Him say, "You fought a good fight, your finished your course, you kept the faith;" will be worth it all.

Your Friend in the Fight,

Steve

2 comments:

Rev.Aaron Holcombe said...

I enjoyed reading this, and it is so true. You, Kim, & Noah are in my daily prayers.

Pastor Steve N. Wagers said...

Thanks cousin-in-law. I'm thrilled to hear that God is using you like He is. Keep on the firing line! Y'all need to come down and see us sometime. We're on your way to Disney.

SNW